Ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease, which causes chronic inflammation, and ulceration of the inner lining of the colon and rectum. The inflammation usually begins in the rectum and spreads upward to the entire colon.
Generally there are two times of ulcerative colitis
- Specific – This happens due to protozoal or tubercular infiltrations
- Idiopathic –The exact reason is still unknown but Amoebic colitis is the common manifestation of this type.
The exact cause of ulcerative colitis is still unknown to modern medicine. Recent researche suggests that inflammation of the colon is due to autoimmune factors, food allergies, collagen disorders, genetic factors and infection. Stress and food sensitivity may not be the chief reason but can also trigger the symptoms of colitis.
Ayurveda describes colitis as Grahani or Pittas Grahani.
According to Ayurveda, all factors that imbalance Pitta are responsible for colitis. The Pitta aggravating factors include excessive heat or exposure of the sun, excessive alcohol/fermented food and smoking, excessive mental activity, skipping meals, spicy, sour, or stale and infected foods, etc.
- Diarrhea and sometimes mixed with blood
- Abdominal pain, usually in the lower left quadrant
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gradual weight loss
- Low-grade fever
- Rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Skin lesions
- Sounds from the abdomen
- Mouth ulcers
- Distended abdomen and bloating
- Unpleasant body odour
Ayurvedic management of ulcerative colitis is very effective with the combination of herbs, diet and lifestyle plan, detox therapies and customized home remedies that address the root cause of the condition. A combination of ayurvedic herbs that support digestion, to control inflammation, improve immunity and heal ulcers are used.
For the efficient treatment of ulcerative colitis, Panchakarma is recommended by the Ayurvedic Doctor. This helps to remove the built up toxins in the digestive tract and other channels. A series of therapies, healing herbs and diet program is program after an initial consultation.
Some of the major aspects of Panchakarma include:
- Abhyanga – Ayurvedic therapeutic oil massage helps to balance the Doshas, reduce stress and support the immune system.
- Shirodhara – A stream of hot oil at the “third eye”, helps to reduce stress, balance hormones and digestive enzymes.
- Vasti (Medical enemas) – A series of medical oil enemas and herbal decoction enemas are administered for healing the inflammation, cleaning the lower intestine and improving gut function including gut flora.
Common Ayurvedic Herbs
- Vilwadi gulika
- Guluchyadi kashaya
- Vilwadi leham
- Vilwa churna
Note: This article is composed for the awareness of the general public about Ayurvedic management of ulcerative colitis. Please do not use this information for self-diagnosis and treatment. We recommend seeing an experienced Ayurvedic Doctor before starting any Ayurvedic treatment. An Ayurveda Doctor at Sunshine Ayurveda will provide personalized authentic Ayurvedic medicines and Ayurvedic natural remedies for ulcerative colitis.
Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari
Disease We Manage